Why do you always wear that hat?

Every time I hear that question my heart stops for a moment while I try to think of how to answer. Although it may seem like such a simple question to most people, it is a question that makes me decide if I can really trust someone or not. 

I can choose to tell them the real reason I need the protection of a hat... or I can choose to blow it off with a simple reason like: "Oh, it's just a fashion statement" or "My head is so cold today!" Most people believe any reason I give them and although part of me is so upset every time I hear it; I understand why people would be confused when they see the same girl, wearing the same hat, every god damn day.

I hate wearing this beanie. I can't remember the last time I went into public without it... but I am so thankful I am allowed to wear one in class and to work because I can't imagine the amount of questions I would receive if I walked around everyday with my biggest insecurity exposed. 

Now that I am getting closer to graduation, I have to learn how to face this insecurity head on (and hats off.) 

Chances are, I am not going to find an ad agency that wants to hire a young adult who walks into their first interview with a beanie on. I am going go have to love my insecurity or learn how to wear a wig in one of the windiest places in the world. 

I still don't know what I should do. I still wake up everyday hoping all my hair magically grew back over night. I still search online everyday to see if research has progressed and a cure has been found. 

I am a 21 year-old woman who is going bald because of Aleopecia Areata. 

Comments

Popular Posts